Below are the positions that we are currently hiring for. If you would like to propose an internship, please contact Matt Kazinka at firstname.lastname@example.org
The National Administrator is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day administration of Grand Aspirations and keeping other national staff and support national team members on track on their self-created action plans and timelines. This will include managing and maintaining the organizational infrastructure such as accounting, insurance, payroll, and state and federal reporting and providing management to other paid national staff and the national support team. This position will be accountable to the Advisory Council, the organization’s operational decision-making body, and to the Board of Directors.
Managing and Maintaining the National Infrastructure
- Coordinate bi-weekly hours tracking and payments with our payroll services, and answer questions from paid staff regarding hours eligibility, and payment structure
- Complete 1099 filings at the end of the year for any independent contractors and financial aid payments that are not included in the payroll service
- Maintain national accounting and accounts for programs that request it
- Send thank you letters for tax-deductible donations of greater than $250, or ensure that local teams send these letters
- Process requests for fiscal agency and help teams open their own bank accounts
- File form 990 at the end of the year to document financials for the IRS
- File annual reports with the aforementioned authorities at the end of the year, to document financials and update addresses and contact information
- Coordinate the process of writing reports for, and maintaining relations with, national funders in concert with the grant writer and Resources Team
- Manage and maintain insurance, including but not limited to general liability, workers compensation, and directors’ and officers’ liability policies at the national level
- Create and implement a curriculum about these insurance policies for local teams
- Respond to insurance claims
- Maintain a record of liability and other waivers for teams across the country, making them available to local program leaders as needed
- Receive phone calls, emails, and depending on geographic location, mail directed to Grand Aspirations generally.
Managing Staff and Supporting National Teams
- Help all paid staff members (currently the national Grant Writer, Social Media Intern, and Midwest Regional Coordinator) and National Support Team develop their work plans, hold check-in calls (frequency based on need), and maintain other systems of accountability, ensuring they have clear direction and purpose, and ensuring they stay on track and on task throughout the year.
- Act as a point of contact for questions from local teams relating to liability, fiscal and financial management, compensation, and other questions relevant to their role when another appropriate national respondent(s) is not available
Qualifications and experience:
- Focus, communication skills and administrative experience to add stability to our operations and increase our reach of programs across the country
- Passion for the mission of Grand Aspirations
- Minimum of two years of administration experience with a preference for some accounting/budget management experience
- Willingness to learn about tax reporting requirements and submitting non-profit filings in various states, through learning-by-doing. Experience with these areas is a plus
- Ability to manage geographically dispersed staff in a respectful, non-hierarchical way by reviewing and co-developing work plans and ensuring accountability to them
- Ability to attend regular (most likely weekly) evening or weekend meetings, events, and conference calls
- Willingness and ability to work independently and without a conventional “brick and mortar” office structure
- Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to work with volunteers
- Strong communication skills, written and oral
- Ability to solve problems and meet deadlines
- Organization skills, intuition, accuracy, and attention to details are very important
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel , familiarity with Google Drive
- High school diploma required, college coursework or degree preferred
- Background in a non-profit organization, ideally in a leadership role
- Experience working collaboratively and effectively with a Board of Directors
- Experience with Quickbooks software or other accounting systems
- Ability to understand and explain insurance policies and handle claims
- We prefer but do not require that the job be located in the Twin Cities (MN),Portland (OR), Chicago (IL), or Raleigh (NC). Please indicate if any of these locations are possible for you.
Commitment and Compensation:
20 hours/week commitment (some flexibility possible) for a total of $16,000 over the course of a year (50 weeks).
Position begins January 2013. Commitment through December 2013, with the possibility of extension beyond 2013 based on performance and organizational needs and resources.
Please send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com by Monday, January 7.
Grand Aspirations values diversity among its staff. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, legally protected medical condition, or disability.